Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] marc.dostie@gmail.com is offline

Default Sizing a radon fan

Hi All:

I moved into a new house that I built a couple of months ago. I
bought a safety siren radon meter and let it do it's thing for about
a month now. My readings are in the 5.6 area.

My basement is approximately 1800 sq ft., before the masons
poured the slab I put two 3" perforated pipes into the gravel base
in case we had a radon issue. I also had the plumber run the
radon vent pipe from the roof down to the basement so I can
tie them together. A couple of questions:

- How reliable/accurate are the readings from these ~$100 radon units?
- Is there a formula that tells me how many CFM I need to draw based
on square footage, current radon level, etc.?
- Should I just seal off the sump pit, or run it into the other two 3"
PVC
lines running to the roof? Is a piece of lexan cut to fit and some
polyurethane caulk good enough?
- Given the current state of the basement (two radon pipes sticking
out
of the slab with a shoddy little cap on each, plus an open sump
pit),
should I try piping everything without the fan to see how the
levels
change?

Thanks,

-Marc