Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Faurot Michael Faurot is offline

Default North American wood

Leon wrote:

What ever sells well is what is stocked at most lumber yards.

I'm sure the principles of supply and demand play a part--regular
economics. But why is there more of a demand for Cherry, Walnut and
Oak, than say Willow, Elm and Sycamore? I've never actually seen
lumber from a Willow, Elm or Sycamore or worked with this stuff.
Are these types of trees inferior for typical woodworking type
activities? Too hard to work? Ugly? They're not cultivated like
the types other types of "common" woods? They're too hard/expensive
to cultivate? There's just not enough of them? Disease (e.g.,
Dutch Elm Disease) has made them too scarce/expensive to turn into
lumber?

If your lumber yard does not sell what you are looking for you should
look at other lumber yards.

I'm not looking to buy this stuff per se--I'm just wondering what's
the bigger picture here?

remove ".invalid".