Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why does my freezer require a dedicated circuit?

"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
.net...
I recently bought a small 7.2 cu ft chest freezer. According to the
documentation, it uses 1.6 amps at 120VAC, so it's not exactly a pig
(the energy sticker says $23/yr). I'm confused by the fact that the
instructions state that it requires a dedicated circuit. What is the
reason for that?

Let's say you have in the same circuit as your kid's bedroom. The kids are
horsing around and do something to trip the breaker. They get up the next
day and go to school and the breaker is still off. So is your freezer.

Or maybe it is on the same circuit as that little used receptacle in the
basement and it trips out just as your wife finishes vacuuming so she
forgets to tell you until a week later when she wants to vacuum again?

You don't want it on a GFCI circuit either as it can trip for some reason
and it kills the freezer. The scenarios presented here are based on real
life happenings posted here by others with spoiled food.