Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Solar Flaire Solar Flaire is offline

Default Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

Kirk keyed interlocks are not an open point for human safety. Make
before break interlocks can be.

"Ignoramus8836" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 May 2007 15:13:11 GMT, Pop`
wrote:
Ignoramus23720 wrote:
I have this generator:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/

I bought these interlocks on eBay:

They are actually quite large, the photo does not do them justice.

My plan is to place interlocks so that either the generator's
disconnect is closed, or the main panel breaker is closed, but
never
both.

That's what they were designed for, if it is unclear to anyone, I
can
explain it in more detail, or see:
http://www.kirkkey.com/index.html

I would lock up another key (they are keyed alike) in my safe so
that its use cannot defeat this system.

I believe that this arrangement fully satisfies the rule that a
mechanical interlock device should prevent both sources of power
from
coming in contact.

Any comments?

Code says you must have break before make and no way of ever
allowing both
to be connected at the same time. Those do not appear to provide
that.

Um, yes, they do if they are mounted properly and one key is used.

Basically, you need a large dptt switch, which is what the transfer
switches
create for you.
Besides, with that sort of thing, you have no easy control of
which ckts
are drawing power; you can't insure that some are off and some are
on.

That's what the breaker panel is for.