Posted to rec.woodworking
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Festool DOMINO - doubling mortises in 2x4s

Swingman wrote:

As to the work piece length issue ... I have easily angled mortises in end
grain on 6' stock and it would not be a big deal to do longer/heavier with a
bit of extra support, by hand or by outfeed stand. The M-R is heavy, +90lb,
further bolted to a stout stand, and a 2 x 4 clamped to the table with those
mondo clamps the M-R uses "ain't going nowhere".

NO doubt the MultiRouter is a slick tool and on the Wish List for
anyone
who has ever seen one and what it can do. It's range of capabilites
far
exceeds those of the DOMINO - at three or more times the price and
10s of times more weight. The beauty of the DOMINO is the furniture
sized M&T joinery it provides - in your hand, all 7 pounds of it.

Strictly in the druthers department, and looking at your shots on abpw,
there does not appear to be as much mortise depth as I would prefer for the
stated application, but perhaps that's just me.

The mortise depth is limited to about 28mm - about 1 1/8" - in each
mortise. And the loose tenon thickness is maxed at 10mm or about
0.40"

With the M-R, a 2" long mortise, 2" deep, would appear to give a stronger
joint on this project, and the setup and cutting of a single mortise would
only take as long as it does to route the mortise with an endmill, less than
a minute or so.

For that sized stuff I use the horizontal boring/mortising function
of my Rbland X31. Can go as deep as 4" with 3/4" its mortising bit.
Great for entry doors and bigger stuff.

I guess you missed the "no layout lines, no centering, no stops to
set"
advantage of the DOMINO

That said, the Domino is indeed impressive for its speed, price and
versatility and about the only thing I could conceivably fault it on, not
having used one yet, is it is perhaps a bit shallow on mortise depth for
some applications.

Only God is Perfect.

Thanks for the continuing information.

No problem.