Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Totally OT - Highway Question - Is 100 Metres Enough

John Rumm wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Then 100% of all drivers drive too fast all the time.

Since the visibility distance of e.g. a motorway with a hedge down one
side out from which many things could pop, is probably around 15mph.

Likewise anyone driving past a line of parked cars, between which many
things cold lurk waiting to spring out on unsuspecting motorists,
should probably do less than 5mph.

A friend of mine crashed into a horse in just those circumstances. He
had just fitted new piston rings to his bike and was pottering along a
country road at 20mph to run them in a bit. A horse jumped out of a
field and landed directly in front of him. The bike carried on between
its legs (acquiring some horse hair in the brake callipers), and my mate
came to an abrupt halt as he broadsided the horse. I don't know which of
them was the most surprised!

Yep. At least with a horse you can blame someone. Deer you can't.