Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default stupid fan motors

On May 8, 4:32 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Anyway, isn't there somewhere a person can get a decent replacement
with decent bearings?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...tml?CatPage=73

Fan motors with ball bearings are roughly twice the price of sleeve types.

Ooh, that's a cool source.

Meanwhile, here's the story, updated in joke format:
My Sears dehumidifier, about 2 yr old, big expensivest low-temp model,
the compressor overheats and stops. refrigeration section is under 5
year warranty, so I take it in. it comes back with a $30 bill for
looking at it and the diagnosis that there's nothing wrong with the
compressor. Which could well be true, because when I got it back, now
the fan motor mentioned previously is open circuited. I guess maybe it
was intermittent before, so this is sort of an improvement, I guess.

I cobble a window box fan to the thing, and now the compressor at
least runs fine, although I'm not seeing any dehumidifying, probably
because it's not moving enough air. So..... I bite the bullet and call
the sears part line and order a new fan motor, $30, on my credit card.
And the next day, the very next day, 18 hours later, a letter arrives
from sears saying 'Now that your dehumidifier has been repaired by our
service department, why not buy a 2 years extended warranty covering
all parts and labor, for $30?"