Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Festool DOMINO - doubling mortises in 2x4s

"charlieb" wrote in message

Did I mention that the parts were 7' and 5'6" long? Imagine doing
the same mortises with even the Leigh FMT or MultiRouter - mortises
in end grain, on a mitered face - of a 7 foot long part.

No way the M-R could have been done the double mortises that quickly. If I
viewed it correctly, it would take two separate, but easy, setups to cut the
32 mortises in four joints with the M-R.

Then again, with the M-R, you might not have needed to do double mortises,
as single deeper mortise would give you more glue area. (Yeah, I know ...
that wasn't in the job description. )

As to the work piece length issue ... I have easily angled mortises in end
grain on 6' stock and it would not be a big deal to do longer/heavier with a
bit of extra support, by hand or by outfeed stand. The M-R is heavy, +90lb,
further bolted to a stout stand, and a 2 x 4 clamped to the table with those
mondo clamps the M-R uses "ain't going nowhere".

Strictly in the druthers department, and looking at your shots on abpw,
there does not appear to be as much mortise depth as I would prefer for the
stated application, but perhaps that's just me.

With the M-R, a 2" long mortise, 2" deep, would appear to give a stronger
joint on this project, and the setup and cutting of a single mortise would
only take as long as it does to route the mortise with an endmill, less than
a minute or so.

That said, the Domino is indeed impressive for its speed, price and
versatility and about the only thing I could conceivably fault it on, not
having used one yet, is it is perhaps a bit shallow on mortise depth for
some applications.

Thanks for the continuing information.

--
www.e-woodshop.net