Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Totally OT - Highway Question - Is 100 Metres Enough

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 9 May 2007 15:38:13 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Indeed. Driving too slow also causes accidents.

No driving too slow doesn't.

Other drivers wanting to drive too fast who get irate and do stupid
things cause the accidents.

So 40mph on a not particulary busy motorway is OK then?

Ive got no problem with anyone doing that If its uncrowded.
Ive done 25mph down the M1 towing about 2 tons up a steep hill.

I have to say that the tailbacks it caused were embarrassing and
frightening.

Although not illegal it was in my opinion dangerous.

An accident is caused by tow objects at different velocities occupying
te same space. Whether one is too fast, or the other too slow, or both
in the wrong place, is open to endless argument.

However the fact remains that if you insist of travelling at a vastly
different rate from those around you, you are a de facto hazard to them.

If you decide to drive down a mortorway at 40mph, the only safe thing is
for everyone else to drop to that speed. You MAY consider that is
precisely what should happen, but the days when everyone else magically
conformed to YOUR opinion were left behind the moment your mother
whipped her tit out of your mouth.