Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Martin Martin is offline

Default Driving Me Crazy

"the_constructor" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 May 2007 21:45:20 GMT, "Martin"
wrote:

|!
|!"the_constructor" wrote in message
|!I paid my council tax today online and on the very last screen you
are able
|!to save the file which is an online VAT receipt, showing all your
payment
|!details in.
|!
|! Great I thinks, I'll be able to print my receipt out later.
|!
|! Logged off after saving only to realise that the file has an
extension of
|! .cfm
|!
|! Trawling through the net I find that it is a ColdFusion file and the
prog
|! is very expensive.
|!
|! Anyone know of a prog that will let you view and print .cfm files
that is
|! relatively cheap or free.

|!
|!What on earth is the point of getting a receipt? On-line payment
means you
|!have proof enough from your own bank statement. And since when is
there VAT
|!on council tax?

And your bank does not make mistakes on your bank statement?
Mine does.

Never, in more years than I care to admit - though I accept my experience
may be unusual. But even if they (or their computer) gets it wrong, the
money has either gone from the OPs account, or it hasn't. If it hasn't,
I suggest the receipt would be of little value - except in contesting a
"late payment" penalty. I also assume that the OP's bank statement is
viewable on line, showing the payment, and the OP could always print that
off before the bank's computer changes its mind...

Apologies that my previous post was unnecessarily aggressive - but I do
believe, in this day and age, that we can dispense with a lot of
traditional paperwork.

--
Martin

Some of us do like to keep a little bit of tradition

grin Fair point.

There are certainly traditions in other areas of life which I'm sorry to see
are now largely ignored. Starting with tradesman turning up when they say
they will.

OTOH, I think I've also read somewhere that paper consumption in the average
office has grown, now that people print off all their emails etc.

--
Martin

[Remove barrier to reply]