Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Jethro Jethro is offline

Default Driving Me Crazy

On 9 May, 08:01, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2007 21:45:20 GMT, "Martin"

wrote:

|!|!"the_constructor" wrote in message

|!I paid my council tax today online and on the very last screen you are able
|!to save the file which is an online VAT receipt, showing all your payment
|!details in.
|!
|! Great I thinks, I'll be able to print my receipt out later.
|!
|! Logged off after saving only to realise that the file has an extension of
|! .cfm
|!
|! Trawling through the net I find that it is a ColdFusion file and the prog
|! is very expensive.
|!
|! Anyone know of a prog that will let you view and print .cfm files that is
|! relatively cheap or free.

|!
|!What on earth is the point of getting a receipt? On-line payment means you
|!have proof enough from your own bank statement. And since when is there VAT
|!on council tax?

And your bank does not make mistakes on your bank statement?
Mine does.

A few years back, when I ran my own business, I paid in a bunch of
cheques at Hounslow branch. Imagine my surprise when the statement
said "portsmouth". I went in to Hounslow, and complained, and the CS
manager couldn't see the problem. Even when I pointed out that if for
any reason I needed to proved I was in hounslow that day, not
portsmouth, then I'd be stuffed.

In the end, I had to get the manager, and use my patented method to
Get Banks To Do Their Job*

*Start by getting them to acknowledge somthing is not right. Then
start asking what else they might have got wrong. This is particularly
effective in the new "open plan" banks, as you have the pleasure of
watching a manager assuring you that they don't make mistakes, and
that they're sure your balance is right. On occassion I have found it
useful to bring a desktop calculator with me - with the loud
declaration that theirs are clearly faulty.