Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimi Jimi is offline

Default putting spacers under the water heater

"mm" wrote in message
Someone here recommended putting bricks under an electric water
heater, so the bottom won't rust out, I think it was.

Do many people do this?
Do you think it is important?

Is it very common for a bottom to rust out so much there are problems?
The pan around my last water heater had an inch or two of water in it
once in a great while, but it was bone dry 99% of the time. There are
small rust marks, but just on the surface.

I have height issues, so was thinking of putting in 3 or 4 tiles,
maybe a quarter inch high, like bathroom wall tiles maybe. Would that
be high enough to accomplish what bricks are for?

Should I do that.

TIA.

1st you should know how a hot water tank is built. It is a tank wrapped
with insulation, then covered with an outer skin. There is insulation
between the bottom of your hot water tank and the bottom of the outer skin.

Unless you have water in your basement that is condusive to rusting,
then put spacers. If you have a dry basement and are installing in a
recomended enviroment...then the Hot water tank should come with it's own
bricks....No? Think abot that...Jimi...