Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff Grunff is offline

Default Which underfloor heating system?

wrote:
We are having an extension built, and at the same time recasting our
double garage as a "family room". These two, together with the
existing kitchen, will be floored in Karndean (yeah, I know, very
expensive, but what can you do? I'm planning to buy it on-line
reduced and lay it myself.)

I'll take this opportunity, if I may, to ask - what is the attraction?
Why not some other similarly priced material, such as porcelain, marble,
slate, hardwood? Why plastic, at that price?

So, my question is underfloor heating - is it worth it, and if so, are
there any makes or systems that stand out? I'm not looking for
bargain basement, but I am looking for reasonable value for money.

Your choice is between wet and electric.

A wet system will be fed from your main central heating, via mixer
valves. It is more work to install, will cost more initially, but is
cheaper to run if you have oil or gas as your main heating fuel.

An electric system is easier to install, and quite a bit cheaper, but
will cost more to run.

Your first decision will be to choose between the two.

Is it worth it? I think so, especially if you have tiles/slates over it.

--
Grunff
Diamagnetic Levitation: