Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Totally OT - Highway Question - Is 100 Metres Enough

On 2007-05-08 22:53:23 +0100, judith said:

On Tue, 8 May 2007 19:34:08 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2007-05-08 19:06:59 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

So assuming there are warning signs for a blind entrance/exit is it now the
fault of the driver on the main road for driving too fast?

If he isn't exceeding the speed limit and there are no other signs or
visual clues then no.

You seem to persist that you cannot be driving *too fast* if you are
driving at the speed limit.

Read what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote.

I said "not exceeding" I didn't say "at"

In terms of the application of speed limits, one is either driving
within it or one is not - that is clear.

You are wrong

No. Within the terms of what I said (as opposed to what you think I
said) I am perfectly correct.

- there are many circumstances where you can be.

That's a different issue.

Once you extend the definition of "too fast" to mean "too fast for the
road surface, the vehicle, the weather conditions and any of umpteen
other criteria" then the judgment becomes a subjective one and you are
entering into a circular argument.

One can always say that an accident wouldnt have happened if the driver
had been traveling more slowly. On the same argement you can argue
that it wouldn't have happened had he reached the point of the accident
at a different time by a couple of seconds.

However, one cannot say that this means that speed is the *cause* of
the accident. It isn't.

The only non-arguable definition of "too fast" is whether or not the
vehicle was exceeding the speed limit. That can be precisely measured.
Everything else is subjective.