Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Where to find replacement asbestos siding

On May 8, 2:17 pm, Goedjn wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2007 13:32:50 -0400, Ray K
wrote:

dpb wrote:
On May 8, 11:06 am, Ray K wrote:
I need about 22 of them. 32" wide, 14" exposed to weather, thickness
1/8-3/16" (the vertical groove pattern accounts for the varying
thickness). If I can find a fiber-cement replacement 32" wide, they
would be okay if the pattern matches what I have.

Going to be tough, probably -- the asbestos replacements would have to
be salvaged from somewhere and matching an old pattern closely is
often impossible.

Would probably help to post a picture somewhere of what you've got.
Depending on where you are, the salvage/restoration kind of folks may
be best bet for the old stuff although not sure anybody is trying (or
even allowed?) to salvage the asbestos siding...

I just posted a photo in alt.binaries.test. Subject: Sample asbestos
shingle. Time 1:28, 5/8/2007. I should have mentioned that all the
shingles needing replacement are in the bottom course. (Careless lawn
maintenance people and landscapers.) They are mainly chipped, like you
see in the photo at the left bottom corner.

Any reason not to just patch the corners with bondo, then?

Bondo is about the worst thing to patch anything exposed to weather -
it draws moisture like you wouldn't believe. I don't even like using
it on a car, if I can avoid it.

nate