Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Pat Pat is offline

Default Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

On May 7, 7:05 pm, Ignoramus23720 ignoramus23...@NOSPAM.
23720.invalid wrote:
I have this generator:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/

I bought these interlocks on eBay:

They are actually quite large, the photo does not do them justice.

My plan is to place interlocks so that either the generator's
disconnect is closed, or the main panel breaker is closed, but never
both.

That's what they were designed for, if it is unclear to anyone, I can
explain it in more detail, or see:http://www.kirkkey.com/index.html

I would lock up another key (they are keyed alike) in my safe so
that its use cannot defeat this system.

I believe that this arrangement fully satisfies the rule that a
mechanical interlock device should prevent both sources of power from
coming in contact.

Any comments?

All juristictions are different but where I am I know the response of
the building inspector because it is the same response he gives to
EVERYTHING he is not familiar with. It is a response borne of sheer
necessity and practicallity.

He will look at the interlock and ask to see the UL listing on it to
ensure it is listed for this purpose. No UL listing, no approval.
Plain, simple, consistant. Not a lot of creativity there, but a good
measure of practicality.