Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Bob Morrison Bob Morrison is offline

Default concrete driveway: thickness ; mesh or not ?

In a previous post Goedjn wrote...
I thought the point of the fiberglass was to limit spalling.
Does it really increase the tensile strength of concrete?

Some manufacturers claim it does. As I said earlier, the jury is still
out on whether or not fibermesh helps slabs resist random cracking.

I am of the opinion that it may help a little, but not enough to warrant
the cost. I prefer to increase the strength of the concrete the old
fashioned way: add cement and reduce water content. And, saw cut crack
control joints as soon the concrete is hard enough to walk on without
leaving marks (4-12 hours).

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co