Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Clarification - Garage Spring Stretching Tool?

On Mon, 7 May 2007 18:59:52 -0700, "CWLee"
wrote:

I'm the original poster. I need to clarify the type of
garage door I have. It is for a double garage, and it is
one large panel, about 6'6" x 18'. It is constructed of 2 x
4s and sheet plywood. On each side of the door there is a
bracket that hinges on hardware that is attached to the wall
next to the door opening.

When the door is closed the springs are stretched. When the
door is opened they contract. In the past when one of the
springs has broken I have held the door open using a 6'
ladder. Then I have released the safety catch, and the
broken spring came off very easily. When I attached the new
spring I had to stretch it perhaps an inch or so for it to
hook, and then I would re-install the safety catch.

I recently repaired the door by replacing some water soaked
crumbling areas with fresh, slightly thicker plywood. This
makes the door a little bit heavier, so that when it is in
the full up/open position it is not quite horizontal as it
was before. What I want to do now is, one side at a time,
is disconnect the two springs, and then move the metal
harness into which they fit, into the next hole. (There are
five adjustment holes provided, and mine is in the middle
one, so I can go two steps in either direction.) Then when
I reconnect the springs they will be stretched a bit more,
and thus pull the door up a bit farther.

The only track involved is part of the automatic garage door
opener, and I don't think it is relevant to my problem.
(But, I could be wrong, and I'm here to learn not argue.)

So, with that additional clarification, what do suggest for
a tool or device to stretch the springs that my 75 year old
muscles can't handle? :-)

I recomend a nephew. Failing that, you need some alternative
way to open and close the door. (Maybe a come-along attached
to the back wall of the garage?)

Close the door part way, and shove sticks (wood shingle, bits
of clapboard, or parts of a pallet) into the coils of the spring.
Open the door all the way, and brace it. Move the springs.
Un-brace-the door, lower it, and take the sticks out.