Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Totally OT - Highway Question - Is 100 Metres Enough

On 2007-05-08 14:28:19 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
said:

On Tue, 08 May 2007 12:42:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

|!Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|! On Tue, 08 May 2007 10:04:25 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
|!
|!
|! |!If people were prosecuted not for speeding, but for HAVING
ACCIDENTS.
|! |!the roads would be a far safer place.
|!
|! In reality *both* happen.
|! Small fine and a few points for speeding which *may* cause an
accident.
|! Bigger fine and more points if you *do* cause an accident by
speeding.
|!
|!Nobody ever caused an accident by speeding on its own.

Some years ago I was driving at under the speed limit of 30mph and two
six
year old boys, seated on a skateboard, appeared from an absolutely blind
1in7 side road, doing one hell of a speed, directly in front of me. Had
been speeding they would have both have been dead, as it was they were
only
kept in hospital overnight.

How do you stop "boys being boys" and getting killed except by sticking
speed limits.

Had you been closer, they would also have been dead.

The speed is not the cause, but only a factor in the outcome as this
example clearly demonstrates.

The speed limit is an arbitrary 50km/h. If it were made 60km/h there
would be statistically more deaths and if it were made 40km/h there would
be less.

So it's a matter of trade off between location, use and risk. But in
none of these cases is speed the *cause* of the accident, only a factor.

In your example, the *cause* of the accident was the boys using the
skateboard inappropriately, or perhaps their parents for letting them do
it.

The cause was two boys going too fast to stop.
Speed was the primary cause as it is in most collisions.