Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asphalt patch/seal?

On May 8, 8:05 am, N8N wrote:
On May 7, 6:47 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote

so it's more a matter of if I can keep the parts that are in good shape to
not deteriorate any for 2-3 years, when I'll have to seal it again and/or
get it done by a pro, I'm OK with that.

nate

In your position, it is smart to just hold the line. If you do nothing, it
will go to hell real quick. Even if you use HD or Lowe's products, it's
going to be better than doing nothing.

Good luck.

Steve

OK, that's kind of what I was thinking. After doing some web searches
I see that some people seem to have strong opinions about coal tar
based products and that in their opinion it might actually be
preferable to use the cheap sealer which doesn't last as long because
they seem to think that the coal tar can actually be detrimental to
the asphalt - true/false?

thanks,

nate

I've always just gone down to HD or Lowes and bought the best stuff
they have. It's like $17 for 5 gals of the lowest cost, maybe $22 for
the best. And it lasts about 7 years or so.

Also, if you're planning on doing patch work, get started on that
first and read the directions. Products like cold patch have to cure
for about a month before you can seal coat it. It cures faster if it
gets rained on quite a bit.