IMM

Default Megaflow Query

"John Stumbles" ] wrote in message
news
Also, why did you ask why did I have an electric shower installed?
Should I not have? Was there another option? my guy said I couldn't
have a mixer/power shower unless I went for a combi, but I stuck to my
guns as I actully like warm air and did not want to bin a nearly new
unit!

It depends on what sort of hot water cylinder you presently have. If it's

'Fortic' or similar (which are common in flats) which has a little storage
tank built-in above the hot water cylinder (visually: has more of a flat

top
than a domed one, and a sort of waist about a foot down from the top) then

power shower would not be a good idea for the risk of running the supply

dry
and ruining the shower pump.

If there is a good cold main flow, then not problem. The cold mains will
probably fill up faster than the pump can draw-off water with the cold water
stage acting as a good buffer. I have fitted a number of these and used a
3/4" ballcock and 22mm colds mains pipe to ensure the cold tank is filled
zippo. Then the Fortic acts as brake tank. There are Fortic which have
larger cold tank sections in the unit.

The best arrangement is a Fortic heated via a combi and the combi only
supplying the shower giving high pressure showers. The water section parts
of the combi last longer as the shower is onkly used a few times a day.
Excellent flow at all taps and high pressure at the only point where you
need it......the shower. A highly cost effective way of having a high
pressure shower, high flows to a bath, no tanks in the loft or cylinder in
the airing cupboard. It is cheaper than a megaflo setup with problematic
high pressure storage, and a heat bank too. The best solution when
installing a new system.

---