Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Buying a Starter Lathe

On 7 May 2007 11:57:48 -0700, Neillarson
wrote:

Well, I looked at the Nova 1624, but as I said I am low on space
between the table saw w/ router table, chop saw, planer, joiner,
bandsaw, belt/disk sander, scroll saw, 2 work benches and a DC, all in
a 18X24 shop and I also have a stair case going to my loft. This is
also my first try at turning so I'd rather take a chance on about $400
than $1200. From what I can tell, a lot of people keep their mini and
add a full size also. If I like it, maybe I'll turn the loft into a
turning room, nothing there but my drawing board now. The Nova Mini
looks to be the one to buy and I will definatly keep the Nova full
size in mind if I move up.

That might happen sooner than you think- the lathe is a very messy
tool! I've got mine in a room seperate from the rest of the shop, and
it was one of the best moves I've made regarding shop layout- bits of
wet wood landing on your other cast iron is a real PITA, especially if
you don't get it off right away.

Thanks for your advice on all of it.