Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Totally OT - Highway Question - Is 100 Metres Enough

On Tue, 8 May 2007 08:36:22 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

I suppose the question is, are there regulations which cover the
"visible distance" for different road categories (speeds)?

I doubt it, there are many junctions on derestricted roads that have
nothing like the your 100m visibilty. Not to mention the overall stopping
distance at 60mph is 73m (http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm). So 100m
leaves you 27m (88') of "clearance" anyway so you can double the
"thinking" time and still stop in time (in theory).

It would be easy to restrict the speed on the slip road to 40mph until
after this junction.

The quickest way to get a speed limit or signage is there to be an injury
"accident". Accident in quotes as *very* few "accidents" are truely
accidental most are down to driver error of some sort.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail