Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default Totally OT - Highway Question - Is 100 Metres Enough

On Tue, 8 May 2007 08:36:22 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

|!Hi all
|!
|!Yes I know this is completely off track and if anyone can recommend a good
|!NG for this question then fine.
|!
|!However........
|!
|!My drive to work in a morning involves a tee junction at which a village
|!road exits onto a slip road.
|!The slip road speed is unrestricted (60 mph in this case) and allows two way
|!traffic upto the juction with the village access road.
|!The slip road is curved as it approaches the tee junction.
|!
|!So the problem is that turning right out of the village exit road, a car
|!driver can only see 100 metres of road (approx paced measurement) to the
|!right. By my reckoning, this means that a car travelling at 60 mph will
|!take roughly 4 seconds to cover the distance between first-being-spotted to
|!impact with an unlucky staller.
|!
|!I suppose the question is, are there regulations which cover the "visible
|!distance" for different road categories (speeds)?
|!It would be easy to restrict the speed on the slip road to 40mph until after
|!this junction.

I have several ways out of this problem
1. Turn left not right, *wherever* legal.
2. Find another route.
3. Have a reliable car and put your foot down after *any* turn, so that you
can get to the speed limit. I had a car written off by a Boy Racer hitting
the rear of the car after a turn.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg