Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Totally OT - Highway Question - Is 100 Metres Enough

Hi all

Yes I know this is completely off track and if anyone can recommend a good
NG for this question then fine.

However........

My drive to work in a morning involves a tee junction at which a village
road exits onto a slip road.
The slip road speed is unrestricted (60 mph in this case) and allows two way
traffic upto the juction with the village access road.
The slip road is curved as it approaches the tee junction.

So the problem is that turning right out of the village exit road, a car
driver can only see 100 metres of road (approx paced measurement) to the
right. By my reckoning, this means that a car travelling at 60 mph will
take roughly 4 seconds to cover the distance between first-being-spotted to
impact with an unlucky staller.

I suppose the question is, are there regulations which cover the "visible
distance" for different road categories (speeds)?
It would be easy to restrict the speed on the slip road to 40mph until after
this junction.

TIA

Phil