Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Storing a gas snowblower till next winter

"Toller" wrote in message

"Bob M." wrote in message
. ..

"Berkshire Bill" wrote in message

Emptying gas tank and carburettor are primary.
I also (2) empty the oil sump;
(3) remove spark plug, squirt a few drops of oil
in the hole and pull manual starter once (to
distribute oil on cylinder walls, and replace
the spark plug only finger tight;
(4) store under cover from the weather.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

NO FINGER TIGHT SPARK PLUGS !! I unknowingly started a lawn mower with
a finger tight spark plug. When the spark plug left the cylinder head
and went through the side of my boot I figured "no problem" it will
heal. Two weeks later they amputated my great toe at the first joint.

Bill

...and I'd say the same to the suggestion to "drain the oil". Bad idea -
you will forget, and it will be expensive when you're reminded by the
shrieking sound of bent, busted piston & valves.

What is this "oil" you speak of? If he burnt off all the gas, where would
there be oil?

Sorry about your toe! I wouldn't have expected that to happen; it must
have been very loose.

Do like they do in the military- use zip ties/baling wire, and big colored
tags, to mark any oil sumps and POL tanks that have been drained, so the
poor SOB that pulls it out of storage years later has a clue what is going
on. Hell, the older I get, the more yellow sticky notes I use to leave
reminders to myself.

aem sends....