Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Moles!

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Oren wrote:

What is the natural predator for a mole? Something that hunts them
as a food source?

Cats hunt them because they're there.

I guess they were born knowing that. Some other predator might be on
the most lethal list. What hunts a mole for food?

I think all cats have a "chase reflex" and knowing this may save your
life. For example, assume you cross paths with a cougar while out hiking.
If you run, you might as well cover yourself with jelly because you're
toast!

Not saying the mountain lion won't put the hurt on you if you stand still,
but your chance of survival is zero (or closely adjacent), for sure, if
you run.

Cats, however, CAN temper their chase with the knowledge that the
chaseable thing is bigger than they are. Cats don't chase cars (unlike
some dogs we know). What this means is that you can sometimes bluff a
cougar by opening your coat or shirt - to make yourself look bigger - and
growling in a menacing fashion. 'Course this doesn't mean diddly to a
bobcat, they'll bite you just for the hell of it. That's just what bobcats
do.

Then, too, there are cats that are just too lazy to be bothered with
chasing anything...

If you get chased by a cougar count yourself among the few. They're all
over the place where I live (relatively speaking of course) and I've only
seen one while backpacking and it hightailed it out of there before I got a
second look. Of course after 4 days in the woods I probably smelled so bad
it ran away to avoid the stench!

But otherwise yeah, puff yourself up, wave your arms, yell, and if it ain't
backing down - fight it. Run and you will get mauled. Disregard if this is
a grizzly bear - draw your gun or you'll die.