Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

Ignoramus23720 wrote:
I have this generator:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/

I bought these interlocks on eBay:

They are actually quite large, the photo does not do them justice.

My plan is to place interlocks so that either the generator's
disconnect is closed, or the main panel breaker is closed, but never
both.

That's what they were designed for, if it is unclear to anyone, I can
explain it in more detail, or see: http://www.kirkkey.com/index.html

I would lock up another key (they are keyed alike) in my safe so
that its use cannot defeat this system.

I believe that this arrangement fully satisfies the rule that a
mechanical interlock device should prevent both sources of power from
coming in contact.

Any comments?

Before you invest allot of time and effort check with your local
inspector as in the end he's the final authority. If he doesn't like it
go with whatever he recommends, he's the one you need to keep happy. If
he's OK with it you should be good. Kirk keys are a common interlocking
means in power distribution schemes, and in settings other than the
power company. You'd have a tough time duplicating the key as they are
only available from Kirk, I don't know what they require before they
sell you another. The only problems apparent are the presence of the
second key, remove it from the premises to a safe deposit box or such,
and the ultimate design of the locking mechanism that the locks are
applied to.

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.