Posted to alt.home.repair
\Fat Tony\ D'Amico \Fat Tony\ D'Amico is offline

Default Garage Spring Stretching Tool?

Zephyr wrote:

I think this OP has springs that are attached by a chain. No track
involved. In that case, the OP could use a block and tackle or "come-along"
pulley. Ask your local hardware salesperson.....

You must be thinking of a one-piece door. That is not what the OP
described.

Every extension spring I've seen is attached to the horizontal track
at the front and the back hang at the rear. Incidentally, I just
replaced a wooden door that was 50+ years old that was 12' high and
12' wide with extension springs. I couldn't believe it! No safety
cable either. If one of those were to break there would be 500lbs of
spring velocity that would easily slice through a wall on failure.