Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Asphalt patch/seal?

"N8N" wrote

Let's say that it doesn't bother me that it won't last very long,
because I don't have the money to hire a pro but something needs to be
done - at a minimum I need to cold-patch some holes. What then?

nate

Nate, asking how long you want it to last is important. And for you to say
you don't NEED it to last long is a good answer to which I can reply.

If it was me, I'd just call anyone and ask what they would charge to do it.
For a seal job that doesn't need to last long and require the $10,000 pot, I
would think you should be able to find some local guy to do the work. I'd
just ask around and compare prices. If you want to do it yourself, call
asphalt suppliers and perhaps roofers, and find the goop yourself. Trouble
is, by the time you do all that, and get stuff goopy that you'll probably
have to throw away, it's just as cheap to get someone else to do it. Or, if
you CAN save some bucks on doing it yourself, you can hire day workers and
let them do the dirty parts.

BTW, cleaning the cracks is not that essential. If you get them too clean,
the goop will just keep running in the holes. Top brooming and a leaf
blower is good enough. The big difference between DIY, amateur, and pro
jobs is the life of the seal, the composition of the goop. The cheap stuff
is easily scuffed off by tires, shoes, and dirt grinding on it. Plus, the
softer stuff may track into your house and cars if you're not careful and
let it dry really good.

Good luck. Let us know what you chose, and how it works.

Steve