Jon Weaver

Default How thick can floor tile adhesive be?

I have now layed 51 tiles and used 40kg of Adhesive.. I rang around
and found that a 20kg bag varies from £16 to £23.. However, I found
that Wickes are doing a 12.5kg bag with 20% free for £8.50, which
works out 30kg for £17.

I did noticed that 'normal' (i.e non-rapid set) is MUCH cheaper.. Is
'rapid set' any better? Most 'rapid' products are not as strong as
their 'non-rapid' couterparts.. Would this be true for Floor Adhesive.
I am not under any time constrains and doing my floor in blocks of 20
tiles with a whole day in between and I have no plans to walk on the
floor until its COMPLETELY set. If I used 'non-rapid' adhesive, would
the finish be any better or worse than 'rapid'?

Th eproblem with normal set is simple. On thivk beds the tiles slowly
'slump' overnight, and the adhesive oozes up through the slits.

Also, you need to clean adhesive off fairly quickly, and it is best from
teh pint of view of no disturbing teh slates, yo do it just as the
cement is going off. That takes HOURS with standard cement. Which means
that if you slate by day you will be up all night cleaning.

I pay the price for what I can do the best job with. That happens to be
rapid set.
:-)

Good job that I completed the job with Rapid set.. Due to work
commitments, I was tiling by morning, and in the office until 10pm, so
it was important that I could 'lay' and 'clean' in the same time
period.

I ended up buying the Wickes Rapid Set stuff and whilst I don't think
its as good as the 'Dunlop' stuff I used before, it more than good
enough for the job.

Just got to lay the 'cuts' (Which I did in one go yesterday) and it
will be time for grouting.. Hopefully we can move into the new room by
mid-week.

Many thanks for your help with this, its really appreciated

Jon