Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Default Anyone have any experience patinating copper?

Doug Miller writes:

You go right ahead and do that if you want, but advising others of the
(supposed) safety of a practice that every chemistry instructor and
laboratory safety guide warns against, is stupid and irresponsible.

The advice is sound for sulfuric acid. For hydrochloric, it is just
superstition spread by repetition. To their credit, not "every chemistry
instructor" or guide is quite so credulous, although generally they do
spout this "conventional wisdom." But it is just wrong in being
overgeneralized to all acids.

I don't expect you to believe me. Just try it yourself, if you have the
courage. Otherwise, you just compound the ignorance. Come to my place, and
you can experiment at my expense with the gallons of HCl I pour into my
pool.

The truth is never stupid or irresponsible. Your feelings are hurt that
you didn't know this little fact, and were gullible enough to believe the
overgeneralization you'd been taught.