Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Buying a Starter Lathe

"Neillarson" wrote in message
ps.com...

So, now I am ready to get a lathe. Since I'm a little low on room, I
was thinking the Jet or Delta Mini, then I saw the Rinkon mini at
Woodcraft. All three are 1" X 8TPI so accessory cost should be
comparable. The extra room on the bed of the Rinkon is attractive. Any
experience of words of advice here would be appreciated.

Once a lathe is selected, what else do I need to get stated and do
some pen and small bowl/vase/plate turning. I was looking at the Nova
midi chuck or the Grizzly G9829 4" 3-Jaw Scroll Chuck. 4 Jaw or 3
Jaw? What is best for basic bowls and such as can be done on a small
lathe?

Turning tools, I plan to get a set, maybe the Harbor Freight 8 pc HSS
one or the Woodcraft 5 pc Mini set and adding a bowl gouge. Any
recommendations?

What else to start (besides all the pen stuff, mandrel, press, drill
bits, etc.)?

NOVA 16-2444. It'll do just fine in a small footprint, and you don't have
to turn outboard to go 15.75 inch diameter, but can turn with your tailstock
until you develop enough proficiency to go without. If you care to, which
seems sort of silly to me. For another 400 you can go 25 inches or more in
diameter, but you'll want to be pretty proficient with a gouge before you
do. No support from the tailstock.

You can get 6x1" wheels for your grinder, as most lathe tools take more time
than it's worth to hone, and are used from the wheel. I wouldn't buy a
white wheel. They're too soft. I got one and watched it deposit sand under
the grinder at a frightening rate. Sterner stuff for harder alloys seems
advised. I'm using SiC wheels from Woodworkers Supply, have been for the
last five years, and may replace my first one some day. Already bought a
replacement, but with nearly 5" left, can't bring myself to put it on the
mandrel.

Harbor freight is fine after a bit of fiddling to remove the rough edges.
After you learn the tools, you can decide if you or the tool is doing the
job and spend what you like. Basic bowls are well served by any of the name
chucks, with some risk by no-name chucks. Here I'd go with one that has a
large stable of jaws and not bargain-hunt. I'm NOVAs, like 'em a lot, and
turn a lot on them. Not the current models, which may have a convenience or
two over my old ones, but use the same jaws if I ever decide I need
something new and allegedly improved.

I don't do pens, but they seem to be jig-dependant, so don't skimp there.