Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr jtpr is offline

Default Best way to fill a snipe on a small box

On May 7, 2:48 pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Snipe is a deeper cut all across the width of the planer blade usually
at the tail end of a board. This sounds like a chip out. Very common
on figured wood and especially birdseye.

I would repair it after you are far along in the finish process and
near the end. Once you have the color established and a first coat of
film finish, or oil (not so effective with poly finishes). Now that
you have the color established, you can match the finish better with
standard filler putty. If this is really birds eye you can just fill
the chips as faux eyes. Just use a darker color like the eyes. I've
used an ink pen pen to add grain lines or a knife or chisel to reshape
the chipouts to better match other surrounding grain before filling to
make the chip look like a little knot. This can actually be a very
artistic and pleasing process..

On May 7, 6:03 am, jtpr wrote:

After I got this small box I'm making as a gift glued up and proudly
brought it up to show my wife, she said "Uh-oh, did you see this?" On
one side is a gouge left from the planner. The material is bird's eye
maple. I don't know how I didn't see this, but it isn't THAT
noticible, except in certain light, then it jumps right out.

Anyway, I was thinking of taking some sanding dust out of my RO sander
and mixing it with some glut and patching it, then sanding again. The
finish on this will be a mixture of tung and linseed oil with a bit of
wipe on poly. Do ya'll think this will work?

-Jim- Hide quoted text -

Right. I think it is probably a lost eye. So I'll try sanding as
much as I feel comfortable with, then evaluate it from there. I agree
I have never really had much luck with fillers and finish, so I'll
avoid that route if possible.

-Jim