Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default Random Orbital Floor Sander

On May 6, 6:33 pm, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
Anyone ever rent one of these? My wife wants me to sand the floors, but we
are concerned about dust. Is there a way to hook up a shop vac to these to
minimize the dust? I see that they come with a dust bag, but if they're
like my ROS, they're only marginally effective.

Coincidentally I just finished my sanding the other day. It was my
first time doing it, and speaking with friends who had, I went with an
orbital sander. I did about 1000 sq feet of oak in one weekend. It
was tough, but worth it. Regarding the dust, it all really stayed
down on the floor. I had to stop the sander and vacuum periodically,
but it wasn't too hard.

I'd recommend (with my limited experience) going with an orbital
sander, using 40 grit paper ( I think I had 36 grit). Make sure you
get some lighter stuff too, 80 / 120 to finish it off nicely. Mind
you, the stain directions say use 220, but I just used 120 I think.

Good luck in your sanding!

Mark