Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate Kate is offline

Default Anyone have any experience patinating copper?

Hi Dan,

If you're doing just a small area you can get the patina product from a
Hobby & Craft store.
I want to say it runs around $7.00 a bottle.

I think it would be safer to use than just buying and mixing your own acid.

I have in my cupboard right now a bottle called "Patina Blue" it's made by
Modern Options Inc.
2325 Third St.
San Francisco CA
415-252-5580
It works on copper, brass and bronze.

When you're doing this, be sure that the surface is completely clean and
free of oils and fingerprints.
I prefer to use a cotton ball to apply it or something like a bit of cheese
cloth.
If you kind of rub it into the surface then wet it well, it gives a GREAT
looking finish.

It will take a day or two to achieve the rich patina of age and it can be
reapplied over the initial finish if you miss a spot.

I believe it comes in other colors as well.

FYI it will rust nails and screws made of anything other than copper, brass
or bronze. Even the plated ones.

Hope this helped!

Kate
I posted a photo for you on the binary group, my server rejected it... go
figure.

"Dan" wrote in message
I'm planning on building a table which will use copper plumbing pipe as one
of its parts. I want to patina this to a green shade like copper gets when
exposed to the elements. Searching I see there are recipes for solutions to
do this, as well as some pre-made products. I'm wondering if anyone here
has any experiece with this, and can suggest particular products/procedures.

TIA

Dan