Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Neillarson Neillarson is offline

Default Buying a Starter Lathe

On May 7, 9:15 am, "Old guy" wrote:
I just used the Jet Mini in a class, and it's a nice piece of work. The
electronic variable speed was not worth the extra $. You lose a lot of
torque at low speeds. I could easily stall out a spindle with a parting
tool.

For your grinder, you need a pink or white or blue wheel for chisel
sharpening.

Otherwise get lots of cheap wood, (aka firewood) and let the learning begin.
Practice is more important than a huge palette of tools.

You'll love it

Old guy

"Neillarson" wrote in message

ps.com...

Darn, you took the name I was thinking of using. I may not fully
qualify as i'm barely on the edge of 50 but I sure feel like it
sometimes.

Thanks for your info. The Delta slow speed has a nice White wheel for
grinding and an orange for sharpening, tho in my opinion, all but the
white wheel sucks.