Posted to rec.woodworking
jev jev is offline

Default Best way to fill a snipe on a small box

On 7 May 2007 06:03:13 -0700, jtpr wrote:

After I got this small box I'm making as a gift glued up and proudly
brought it up to show my wife, she said "Uh-oh, did you see this?" On
one side is a gouge left from the planner. The material is bird's eye
maple. I don't know how I didn't see this, but it isn't THAT
noticible, except in certain light, then it jumps right out.

Anyway, I was thinking of taking some sanding dust out of my RO sander
and mixing it with some glut and patching it, then sanding again. The
finish on this will be a mixture of tung and linseed oil with a bit of
wipe on poly. Do ya'll think this will work?

-Jim

No - glue and sawdust are always a poor match esp on light wood ligh
maple.

Is this really snipe or just a small torn out eye? I have repaired
torn eyes by completely finishing the item then filling the eye with
CA glue. When glue hardens(do not use accelerator) very carefully
level it with card scraper.