Michael McNeil

Default where to buy washed sharp sand?

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Niel A. Farrow) writes:
I'm repointing my old house with 1:1:6 cement:lime:washed sharp sand. I
can't find the washed sharp sand at the local builders merchants. Do any
of the sheds sell it?

I would not have thought it was necessary to wash sharp sand,
only building sand. However, I would suggest you use a mixture
of (washed) building sand and sharp sand -- probably more building
sand than sharp sand as you'll find repointing with just sharp
sand is probably very difficult. The mixture will better match
the original, as sand wasn't graded back then and was a mix of
just about all sizes. To get the colour as light as possible,
also use white cement rather than more common gray. You can buy
that at builder's merchant, but I don't recall seeing it in DIY
sheds.

If I use unwashed sand will I have problems?

I think the only difference it makes to (building) sand is to
wash away the very fine particles, which otherwise act as a very
powerful yellow pigment. However, this is just by observation;
I've never actually seen a description of what washing sand is
meant to do.

There are two types of sand: bricklaying sand which is very fine and
plastering sand which is larger. (There is also a concrete grade but
it isn't really sand.) Get the coarser of the sand from your
builder's. It will be local and cheaper than the bagged stuff from a
warehouse.

Sharp sand is a reference to its edges which if not freshly quarried
may have smooth edges due to abrasion. It happens in sea sand and it
happens in desert dunes.

The only problem is the colour. Unless you know the original supply
you will just have to hope for the best.