Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Nehmo Sergheyev Nehmo Sergheyev is offline

Default concrete driveway: thickness ; mesh or not ?

On May 1, 10:38 am, "Joe" wrote:
"HotRdd" wrote in message

Just going from my own research here so I'm also waiting for others to

pipe
in but, the mesh or wire holds the concrete together and keeps it from
cracking.

okay, i'll "pipe in".... rebar / wire mesh on a concrete
driveway is a waste of money !

the key is preparation of the ground below it.

presuming the contractor puts in rebar / wire mesh,
what's he using to hold them up during the pour ?

i think the guys in alt.building.construction, that
i'm crossposting to, would have more to say on the
topic of concrete driveways and rebar/wire mesh.

i've seen HUGE driveways done with NO rebar at all,
and the surface is perfect years later. And that's
driving all kinds of heavy pick up trucks and trailers
onto it.

Pressure on the surface of a slab will put the bottom of the slab in
tension, that is, it will tend to stretch the bottom. Thus, metal,
rebar, or to a lesser degree mesh, which is stronger in tension than
concrete, will help prevent the slab from failing.

Seeing a slab made in a particular way is just anecdotal. The people
who did it may not have known how to, or wanted to, do the job
properly. A knowledgeable eye will see bad practices and mistakes all
over the place.

Generally, you can hold rebar up with bricks or chairs specially made
for the purpose .

--
(||) Nehmo (||)