Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Anyone have any experience patinating copper?

"Dan" wrote in message
I'm planning on building a table which will use copper plumbing pipe as
one of its parts. I want to patina this to a green shade like copper gets
when exposed to the elements. Searching I see there are recipes for
solutions to do this, as well as some pre-made products. I'm wondering if
anyone here has any experiece with this, and can suggest particular
products/procedures.

TIA

Dan

I am interested in this, too. IIRC, from previous discussions, the green
color is from exposure to acid. Weak sulfuric, I believe. Common name,
muriatic acid. Other colors are obtained from different solutions. One of
the solutions called for in one of the recipes is acetic acid, common name,
vinegar. Another ingredient is copper nitrate.

BE CAREFUL. Working with acid is very dangerous. About the most important
thing you need to know is:

ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER, NEVER WATER TO ACID.

Adding water to acid produces heat. I have seen chemical demonstrations
where a 4" diameter two foot high glass vessel shaped like a tube was filled
half full of acid. A small amount of water was added. The glass shattered
at the liquid line.

So, if you are going to use the really nasty stuff, like muriatic, always
add the acid to water.

I was considering making a rack that would sit in one of the big plastic
tubs. The rack would be plastic. Full strength muriatic acid would be
added to the tub, until about 1/2" deep. The copper workment would be
placed on the rack. The cover would be placed on top, and left. The idea
being that the vapor from the acid would float up and patinate the copper.
A wading pool could also be used, and perhaps instead of using so much acid
in the bottom of the pool, one could place several shallow plastic dishes of
it instead.

I have seen real copper that was left out in the elements. Old chimney
pieces, rain gutters, old house trim pieces. It all had lovely green
patination, indicating that it was something in the weather that did it. I
suspect acid rain.

Try some vinegar. Try some acid, but just be careful. Wear safety glasses,
and have a hose or water bath ready in case you do get some on you. (I
guarantee you will.) Read some of the thousands of ads on Google, or search
newsgroups for arts and crafts.

I'll be following this thread, as I intend to use copper on some projects.

Sorry I can't be more help right now, but I'm learning, too. There's just
so much to be learned.

Steve