Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle Cliff Hartle is offline

Default Random Orbital Floor Sander

I have seen four different types of floor sanders:

Drum sanders of varying sizes, sanders that are floor buffers that really
aren't for removing a finish but for sanding between coats, a sander that
Hechinger's used to rent that used one large sheet of paper and a sander
that I've used from Home Depot that has four 8" or so random orbit heads
arranged in a rectangle.

The last is what I think you are looking for and it does have a dust bag. I
think you could use it to remove an old finish, but it may take awhile.

I think HD has a smaller drum sander also that is designed for the home
owner. My Sister and In-laws both had their floors refinished
professionally. The drum sander was definitely not for the amateur, It ran
off of 220 and was attached directly to the fuse box.

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Anyone ever rent one of these? My wife wants me to sand the floors, but
we are concerned about dust. Is there a way to hook up a shop vac to
these to minimize the dust? I see that they come with a dust bag, but if
they're like my ROS, they're only marginally effective.