Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Random Orbital Floor Sander

BobK207 wrote:
On May 6, 3:33 pm, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
Anyone ever rent one of these? My wife wants me to sand the floors, but we
are concerned about dust. Is there a way to hook up a shop vac to these to
minimize the dust? I see that they come with a dust bag, but if they're
like my ROS, they're only marginally effective.

Sanding a hardwood floor (like oak) down to bare wood to stain /
refinish is dusty, messy business.

The usual tool is a pretty massive drum sander, you're removing
wood ....you need some horsepower.

followed by a ~16" diameter floor sander.for sanding / screening
before & between finish.

I suggest masking off the uninvolved areas of the house but be
prepared for dust & the need to vacuum walls & baseboards.

And find a place to practice that isn't very obvious initially --
running one of these things ain't rocket science, but it does take
some getting used to to. You can make a big hole in a hurry w/ one of
them w/ 40 or 60 grit paper!

It's a doable project if one is relatively comfortable w/ tools, but
definitel a few steps above "mere novice"...