Posted to alt.home.repair

Default flaky fluorescent light

I recently found 4 standard fluroscent fixtures buried above a drop
cieling that were ungrounded from when they were originally installed
20 or 30 years ago by a previous owner.......

I was helping a friend with her elderly moms lights.

The #@$% original installer cut the ground wire off the romex. I guess
the wiring is safe based on the test of time, its not properly
installed, fans out of boxes that are way too small. The drop cieling
must of been installed after the lights were put up, they hang by
chains. access is horrible, the lights hard wired. although no anchors
were used at fixtures either

I replaced all the bulbs, and did some minor repairs which took
forever because of poor access.

I am not happy with the wiring but fear I could start a big house
rewiring job and the ladies kids at least one replaced a ballast years
ago so they must know its a mess......

I am looking for opinions, fixtures start OK but are a definite shock
hazard, but I really dont want to rewire a house.

The lady is elderly, when this house goes up for sale home inspectors
will have a field day. nice home porely maintained.by people who had
no idea how to do it right