Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Draining a water heater

On May 6, 5:48 pm, Cactus Jack wrote:
Hello, all. In all my 30 or so years of home ownership, I've never
been able to drain a water heater by following the prescribed
procedu Attach a hose to the drain, turn off water supply to the
heater, open the nearest hot water faucet, then open the drain valve.
I've never been able to get any water out this way. The only way I
can drain anything is to close the nearest faucet, and turn on the
tank's water supply. This forces water out the drain, thus at least
draining some of the sediment from the tank.

So what am I doing wrong that the "normal" method does not work for
me?

Air has to get in to displace the water. I just leave all on and
remove a couple of gallons from the drain.