Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max George Max is offline

Default Where does varnish go?

On Sun, 06 May 2007 16:57:24 GMT, Gerry Wolfe
wrote:

I used to have a fresh-water sailboat with teak trim.

Varnish is for masochists. If you want to spend all your time at the
dock refinishing, go for it.

The rest of us used a product called Cetol (Sikkens is the
manufacturer AFAIK). Sand the wood down to remove the old stuff, put
on a couple of coats of Cetol over a day or so. Another coat every
six months will work just fine. There is an "exterior" version and a
"marine" version. I think the main difference was the marine version
lasted twice as long and cost three times as much...

Just my $0.02Cdn...
rgds, g.

I second that. I use Cetol on a pair of benches outside 24/7/365. I
do have to refinish, but after 3 or more years. It's great stuff.
It's also expensive stuff.