Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default another question about your technique

On 5 May 2007 18:23:02 -0700, marc rosen wrote:

Hello All, (No company plugs here, just providing links for detail
clarification)

I am ready to finish shaping the posts for my cherry bed and was
looking through catalogs and plans at the selection of hardware to
attach the side rails to the posts. The plans that I sort of followed
suggest a bed rail fastener similar to the type sold by Woodcraft
( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3269 ). When i
perused Lee Valley I found these, ( http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=1&action=n
) which looks like they would be simpler to apply/attach but I'm not
as excited about this as the first example. Another method that I
can't find an exaple of is the bolt and barrel nut devices that I've
seen numerous times in Fine Woodworking.
To those who have built beds, what have you used and are you happy
with the results? Anyone tried more than one type of fastener and
found one better than the other?
Thanks again for your inputs and I hate this great weather we are now
having. It makes it real difficult to stay in the shop when it's
nice.

Marc

I bought a set of bed rail connectors from Woodworkers Supply many
years ago and used them on a rice bed I built. They were heavy steel
angle type with lock pin sections, and held together with 5/16" socket
head cap screws. They locked up tight with no joint movement.

They were the best I've ever seen, Naturally, Woodworkers Supply
discontinued them, and I haven't seen them anywhere else.

Frank