Posted to alt.home.repair
AndrewV AndrewV is offline

Default Are all comealongs made in China?

for the last comealong you'll ever need to purchase see www.lug-all.com I
believe they are made in PA. It will set you back more then $25 but unless
you seriously abuse it, it will last a lifetime or 2.

Andrew
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I just bought a 4 ton comealong from the local 'Tool Store' to remove my
stump after severing all the roots I could find.

I think it was regular $59 on sale for $29, the best they had. The
release never did work right out of the box. There's a little aluminum
bolt on a spring that's supposed to push the ratchet out of the way, but
it just kept getting bent. The winching seemed to go fine, except I
noticed that the rivet that the third hook attaches to had popped loose.
Fortunately the tension kept in place, so that the cable didn't snap
loose and take my head off.

So I was looking around the net for a better version, but they all pretty
much look like the one I bought. Some are $8 on eBay, cheap is not what I
want in a comealong. The stump is out BTW, so it's not something I'll
need until the next time.

I use a few of those el cheapos.They are OK if you don't over extend them.
I've pulled a lot of small stuff out with them during the past 20 years
and use them to pull disabled garden tractors up on landscape trailers.
I've never spent more than $15 - I have as many broken as I do working
right now. But I also have a very old, second hand automotive chain hoist
that will pull a house off it's foundation.