Posted to alt.home.repair

Default frozen bolt & nuts

Chuck (in SC) wrote:
On 5 May 2007 17:27:55 -0700, Frank Thompson wrote:

farm tractor abot 40+ years old... both wheels are about same
distancew apart

Curious. I don't recognize the MF135. Is this a garden tractor, like
I thought, or a big farm tractor? If the latter, are the front wheels
close together or as far apart as the rear tires.

pictures of mf135
http://tinyurl.com/33qopb

You might want to try this .. .. ..

Heat the area with a torch until it's pretty hot .. not red, but pretty
hot. Take an old candle and apply the wax around the joint just like
as if you were soldering copper pipe. Keep the area hot for a few
minutes, keep applying the wax. After a little bit of that, let it
cool for a few minutes and see if it doesn't come apart with moderate
torque. It seems the heat expads both pieces of metal, but in so
doing, it breaks the bond caused by the rust & corrosion. The candle
wax wicks down into the joint, lubricating it enough to get it apart.
I've used this many times, especially on exhaust parts where both the
nut and bolt were pretty badly corroded. Can't hurt to try.

__ Bøb __