Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Drain auger design

On May 5, 12:05 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"Lawrence" wrote in message

You always dissasemble the trap before snaking the drain. That style
of auger is called a "closet auger" i guess because it will fit in a
closet. It is just a flat piece of flexible steel, I believe? You
can only clean out the easiest clog with one of those since they are
so short and without power .

Well I can't dissasemble the trap on this, cast iron from the tub -if I
could it would make my life so much easier. Rusty cast iron pipes are
magnets for any hair that get put down the tub drain.

I'm glad you mentioned the flat bar types are worthless, at least I won't be
suckered in if I see them.

I don't say they are worthless but for sure are quite limited in their
effectiveness since they are only a few feet long. An auger is not
designed to curve through a trap like that. For sure mine won't.

Your tub may should have a cleanout for this purpose, most do. It is
an angled fixture downstream of the trap that can be opened up to
accept the snake and thus, cleanout the line. It could be behind the
wall or in the basement. Every fixture in my house has one. If there
is no cleanout then you should try to install one. Mine is in the
wall and I had to cut away some wallboard to snake the line.

An auger can fit down the toilet however and mine came with a curved
pipe through which the snake passes. This helps the cable to make the
curve and prevents damage to the toilet bowl. The tubs' plumbing
often runs to the toilet so it may also be possible for you to fix the
clog by snaking the toilet or any cleanout downstream from the tub.